Home Administración de Gobierno

Last update 15-02-2021

Replacement due to wear and tear, loss or theft of an EU driving licence

What you need to know

In the event of the loss, theft or wear and tear of a licence issued by an EU Member State or European Economic Area (EEA) country (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or by the UK (until 31 December 2020), you can apply for replacement of your licence at our offices(Abre en nueva ventana) , provided that you are ordinarily resident in Spain. You will be issued with a new licence, equivalent to the one you held.

At the start of this procedure, we issue you with a provisional Spanish licence equivalent to the licence from your country. You will receive your definitive Spanish licence in approximately one and a half months. You do not need to visit your police station or DGT office; we will post your licence to you at home.

Important: With the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union, British driving licences cease to be valid for driving in Spain from 31 December 2020. If you are resident in our country and wish to continue driving on our roads, you must exchange or renew your licence or replace it with a Spanish one before that date.(Abre en nueva ventana)

Volver arriba

What do you need?

  • What do you need?

    To replace your licence, (Abre en nueva ventana) you must attend in person and hand in all the documentation at any main police station or traffic office(Abre en nueva ventana) . You need to book an appointment using the application form for exchange of EU/EEA licences.(Abre en nueva ventana) Make sure you request the option ‘European driving licence exchange.’ A fee is payable for this procedure.

    On the day of your appointment, bring

    • Your completed official application form with you(Abre en nueva ventana) . This includes a declaration that you are not disqualified by court order from driving motor vehicles and mopeds, that you do not hold another EU, UK or EEA licence of the same category as that for which you are applying, and that none has been restricted, suspended or withdrawn.

    • The applicant’s identity document: an original, current document proving identity and residence is required. This is a current identity card or passport and any other document requested by the police station where the exchange application is being handled.

    • On the official form, you can expressly authorise the DGT to verify your address on the electoral roll and for economic activity tax (IAE) online. However, if the DGT cannot trace valid information, you must bring corroborating documentation.

    • Bring your foreign driving licence for replacement for wear and tear.

    • Produce the number or proof of payment of fee 4.4, EUR 20.40 for the year 2020. You can pay by credit card, not cash, at our offices.

    • Bring an original current colour photograph, size 32 x 26 mm, on a plain background, taken from the front, with the head uncovered and no dark glasses or clothing which might make it difficult or impossible to identify you.

    If you keep your head covered for religious reasons, photographs with a veil are allowed, but the oval of your face must be fully visible uncovered from the hairline to the chin, so that it is not difficult or impossible to identify you.

  • Who can do this?

    Any holder of a driving licence from an EU Member State, the UK (until 31.12.2020) or the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) with ordinary residence in Spain.

    The licence holder or any appointed proxy must apply for renewal.

    Through our authorisations register, you can appoint someone else as a proxy to act on your behalf.(Abre en nueva ventana)

    If someone else is going to complete the procedure on your behalf, please state the applicant's and the proxy’s identity card numbers when you telephone 060 to book the appointment.

Volver arriba

Authority responsible for the information

Ministry of the Interior
Directorate-General for Traffic