Home Administración de Gobierno

Last update 27-09-2021

Minors travelling alone

Children not accompanied by a parent or guardian will be asked, on leaving Spanish territory, to show the following documentation, authorising them to travel:

Children who are resident in Spain

Necessary documents

All unaccompanied Spanish minors (persons under the age of 18):

  • must carry a valid national identity document (DNI) to travel outside Spain within the European Union, the European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation, or a valid passport if they are travelling outside those territories (to third countries).
  • In addition to the DNI or passport, they will need written permission to travel outside Spain, signed by their father, mother or guardian.

How to access permission forms

Information on the procedure for granting minors permission to travel outside Spain can be found at the following websites of the Spanish Ministry of the Interior:

Validity of forms

The form is primarily designed for definite situations of fact. Nevertheless some situations, which require minors to leave Spain, continue over a period of time. In such cases, it is sufficient to issue permission which covers the circumstances.

Who is required to have permission?

The need for permission applies to Spanish children, resident in Spain, who go outside Spain without an accompanying parent or guardian.

Who does not need permission?

The requirement does not apply to:

  • Spanish children, resident in Spain, who enter Spain unaccompanied;
  • Spanish children, habitually resident outside Spain;
  • Non-national children, who are governed by the provisions of their national laws. Non-national children will not need permission to leave Spain, except when required by specific laws of a state.

Where to show the documentation

The travel authorisation will be shown at border crossings (as prescribed by Regulation (EU) 2016/399, Annex VII, section 6.3)(Abre en nueva ventana) .

Consequences of not having permission

A child who does not hold valid permission cannot travel.

Volver arriba

Non-national children resident in Spain

They must bring the documentation required, as applicable, by the laws of their country.

Volver arriba

Authority responsible for the information

Ministry of the Interior
Directorate-General of Police